"Search the Scriptures Daily"
A Scriptural perspective of Marriage and Polygamy in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints since its conception on April 6, 1830 was that a man should have only one wife and that Polygamy has never been a commandment from God!
“Thou shalt love thy wife with all thy heart, and shalt cleave unto her and none else. And he that looketh upon a woman to lust after her shall deny the faith, and shall not have the Spirit; and if he repents not he shall be cast out.
Thou shalt not commit adultery; and he that committeth adultery, and repenteth not, shall be cast out. But he that has committed adultery and repents with all his heart, and forsaketh it, and doeth it no more, thou shalt forgive; But if he doeth it again, he shall not be forgiven, but shall be cast out.”
(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 42:22 - 26)
Revelation given February 9, 1831
The whole point of knowing the Lord is to walk in His virtue, His morality, His character! If you are married and look upon another woman to lust after her, ye “hath committed adultery with her in his heart already” (JST 5: 29-31) (3 Nephi 12:27-30). I do not know how any man in their right mind who is married could conceive to depart from that holy relationship of marriage to one woman and entertain polygamy as an alternative and call it justified before God… to this the Lord said: “ye have blasphemed against me in the midst of [your own body temple] my house, saith the Lord” (D&C 112: 26). “Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; [damn] for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are. Let no man deceive himself.”
(New Testament | 1 Corinthians 3:16 - 18)
1. Properly, whole, entire or perfect, in a moral sense. Hence, pure in heart, temper or dispositions; free from sin and sinful affections. Applied to the Supreme Being, holy signifies perfectly pure, immaculate and complete in moral character; and man is more or less holy as his heart is more or less sanctified, or purified from evil dispositions. We call a man holy when his heart is conformed in some degree to the image of God, and his life is regulated by the divine precepts. Hence, holy is used as nearly synonymous with good, pious, godly.
Be ye holy; for I am holy 1 Peter 1:16.
2. Hallowed; consecrated or set apart to a sacred use, or to the service or worship of God;
Read the complete Essay on Marriage and Polygamy under "Testimonials" tab above to see the scriptural and eternal patterns or download it at the bottom of this page
The Prophet Joseph Smith never taught or lived polygamy, in fact he said that if a person receives a message or revelation that contradicts a previous revelation you may know it is not of God but of Satan, who may appear as an angel of light to deceive. The following quote from the Prophet Joseph Smith shows that D&C 132 was in direct contradiction of previous revelations in D&C 42:22-26 and D&C 49: 15-17 and former section 101 of 1835 (Three Witnesses to this Truth). According to Emma, the Prophets wife, Joseph never received D&C 132 revelation. So who wrote D&C 132? It was under Brigham Young's administration and contrary to God's eternal pattern.
The Prophet Joseph Smith said:
“There have also been ministering angels in the church which were of Satan appearing as an angel of light:— A sister in the State of New York had a vision who said it was told her that if she would go to a certain place in the woods an angel would appear to her,— she went at the appointed time and saw a glorious personage descending arrayed in white . . . he commenced and told her to fear God and said that her husband was called to do great things, but that he must not go more than one hundred miles from home or he would not return; whereas God had called him to go to the ends of the earth; and he has since been more than one thousand miles from home, and is yet alive. Many true things were spoken by this personage and many things that were false.—How it may be asked was this known to be a bad angel? . . . by his contradicting a former revelation.” Times and Seasons 3 [April 1, 1842]: 747
Polygamy (D&C 132) is breaking several of the 10 Commandments of God and is diametrically opposed to Gods established pattern for godliness and holiness in a divine marriage relationship. "My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips" (Psalms 89: 34).
If you believe the Prophet Joseph Smith taught and lived polygamy, [which I don't] please read "Beliefs and Conspiracies" in the Downloads below at the bottom of the page.
These Downloads are the opinion of the author and the realization that it is not about what religion we belong to but that we choose to become holy and divine in our character!
You will find that every essay on my website has a theme woven into it. It is simple, our mission here is to become godly in attributes, character and the perfection of them! [Matthew 5: 48]. Every person has this potential, it is our inheritance and birthright if we seek after it! [3 Nephi 27:27].
The Character of god/God: the little “god” symbolizes where faith begins (within).
1. Faith is the first attribute of god/God. “Faith [in godliness is the innate mystery] it “is the first great governing principle which has power, dominion, and authority over all things… Without it, there is no power, and without power there could be no creation, nor existence!” “God became the object of faith… to search after a knowledge of his character, perfections and attributes, until [we] become extensively acquainted with him; and not only commune with him, and behold his glory, but be partakers of his power, and stand in his presence.” [Lecture 1: 34]. Having a “face to face” experience with Christ and or Father or both, is the real symbolic purpose of the temple endowment… to point us in seeking this personal experience. “Now this Moses plainly taught to the children of Israel in the wilderness, and sought diligently to sanctify his people that they might behold the face of God; But they hardened their hearts…” (D&C 84:23 - 24). Are we doing the same today?
God the Father and Christ is our example. We are co-eternal with God: meaning we have always existed as a spiritual being of light, truth and intelligence with Him [Abraham 3:18; D&C 93:23]. We are also co-equal with God: meaning we are each innately endowed with all the attributes of godliness and have the potential to become as He is through these attributes [Lectures on Faith 1-7].
What is the reward in developing a character of Godliness?
“Let us her observe, that after any portion of the human family are made acquainted with the important fact that there is a God who has created all things, the extent of their knowledge, respecting his character and glory, will depend upon their diligence and faithfulness in seeking after him, until like Enoch and the brother of Jared, and Moses, they shall obtain faith in God, and power with him to behold him face to face.” [Lecture 2: 55].
2. He is merciful as we must become. “Mercy” is the attribute of repentance and forgiveness.
3. He has the integrity to be the same yesterday, today and forever in these divine attributes.
4. He is a being of truth and cannot lie, as we must become.
5. He is no respecter of persons but in every nation, who loves and becomes a manifestation of these attributes in thought, word and deed is accepted of Him and becomes “One” with Him.
What is the reward in developing the attributes of Godliness?
“It is scarcely necessary here to observe what we have previously noticed: That the glory which the Father and the Son have, is because they are just and holy beings; and that if they were lacking in one attribute or perfection which they have, the glory which they have, never could be enjoyed by them; for it requires them to be precisely what they are in order to enjoy it: and if the Savior gives this glory to any others, he must do it in the very way set forth in his prayer to his Father: by making them one with him, as he and the Father are one” [Lecture 7:15].
The Attributes of god/God [godliness]: the little “god” symbolizes where faith begins (within).
1. All Knowledge (omniscient is an attribute of God); this potential is already within you and comes forth as we develop the attributes and character of godliness. As your understanding of the “tree of knowledge of good and evil” and of the “tree of life” are awakened within, you become aware that God chooses the “tree of life” as we should. He knows these trees are a symbol of our potential to choose one or the other and we cannot serve two masters [Matthew 6:24], if we do, we are deceiving ourselves.
2. Faith is action and power and is the next attribute of God and godliness. God’s faith is in the tree of life. By partaking of the fruit of the tree of life, he became sanctified and was and is able to create and organize worlds. This is the same path we can follow to become like Him, it is the path of sanctification.
3. Mercy and Justice are attributes of God, they are innate to Him and to all, therefore it is our potential to embrace them, if we are to become like Him. Mercy is the principle of repentance and forgiveness. Justice is the reward of our choice. And hopefully godliness and holiness are our choice. “Sanctify yourselves, and ye shall be holy” [Leviticus 11:44-45; 19:2].
4. Truth is the next attribute of God. God does not lie. Truth is honesty and virtue; it is God’s moral compass. God has embraced and became this Truth as we must also if we are to become like Him. This is our inheritance. Christ said in his pray to his Father: “Sanctify them through thy truth; thy word is truth” [John 17:17]. We are sanctified through these divine attributes if we remain honest and loyal to them.
“There are but a very few beings in the world who understand rightly the character of God. The great majority of mankind do not comprehend anything, either that which is past, or that which is to come, as it respects their relationship to God. They do not know, neither do they understand the nature of that relationship; and consequently, they know but little above the brute beast, or more than to eat, drink and sleep. This is all man knows about God and His existence, unless it is given by the inspiration of the Almighty…
“If a man learns nothing more than to eat, drink and sleep, and does not comprehend any of the designs of God, the beast comprehends the same things. It eats, drinks, sleeps, and knows nothing more about God; yet it knows as much as we, unless we are able to comprehend by the inspiration of Almighty God. If men do not comprehend the character of God, they do not comprehend themselves.” [The words of the Prophet Joseph Smith, The King Follett Sermon]
“Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.”
(New Testament | Matthew 5:48)
“Therefore, what manner of men ought ye to be? Verily I say unto you, even as I am.” (Book of Mormon | 3 Nephi 27:27)
Sanctification and perfection come only through the character and attributes of godliness. This is the Holy Grail for mankind, it is simple and easy if you believe!
I can be contacted at SkyBird@live.com or text at 801-833-8079